ssat.vn – The differences among test sections are inevitable when taking the ACT practice test. So how to raise each ACT section score?
How to score ACT?
Before going into detail on how to raise each ACT section, you should have a good understanding of how ACT is scored. The test is divided into 4 parts: English (75 questions), Math (60 questions), Reading (40 questions), and Science (40 questions). Each section will be scored from 1 to 36. Your final score will be added up to 4 sections and divided by 4.
There is also a Writing section that allows candidates to express their own opinions and personal comments on the issue. This section will be scored separately on a scale from 0 to 12. Candidates are allowed to take the test many times and the taken results will be calculated based on the results with the highest score. Therefore, this will be a good opportunity for anyone who wants to find ways how to raise each ACT section score.
For more: Is ACT more difficult than SAT?
Did you know that even increasing only one point on the ACT exams can raise your chances of getting into the desired university and getting a lot of financial aid? For this reason, learn ways to increase your score on each ACT now so as not to miss any chances.
For more: Chemistry in English books
- English section: The core of the ACT English test is not a grammar test or a test of how well you write. Instead, it focuses on fixing errors in the styles of different passages. For those who are struggling in this section, keep in mind ways to improve your score with the 4C’s:
- Written in a complete sentence.
- Everything should be consistent.
- The meaning should be clear.
- Correct answers without any errors will be the most concise.
Although the error in the question cannot be identified, you just use this 4C’s rule to eliminate trapped answer choices.
- Math section: In ACT Math, you will have 60 multiple-choice questions based on the typical high school topics including Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry. ACT Math does not provide any formulas at the beginning of the test so you have to memorize and apply formulas appropriately. This will be the time when it will be really helpful to practice many mock tests. When taking the test, spend about 5 to 10 minutes scanning through the entire content of the exam to determine what are easy questions can be solved quickly, which ones to do later, and which can be skipped to save time.
- Reading section: The reading section assesses the ability to read in-depth, deduce information from the passages, and the ability to integrate information from varied sources. There are four ACT reading passages of about 800 words each and always in this order: Prose Fiction, Social Science, Humanities, and Natural Science. To increase your score in this section, you need a smart and effective exam-taking strategy:
- Spend a lot of time practicing mock exams.
- Understand the basic content of each topic.
- Read the question first and then read the passage.
- Answer easy questions first, difficult questions later.
- Calmly when encountering a new word, try putting that word into context to make semantic inferences.
- Science section: The science section will assess candidates’ skills to look up and synthesize information from tables, graphs, illustrations, and passages. So how to increase scores on this test? First, you need to understand the structure of the Science section with 40 multiple choice questions about 7 science passages divided into 3 types: Charts and Graphs, Experiments, and Opposite Perspectives. After understanding the structure of the exam, apply the “Now, Later, and Never” For passages with clear and easy-to-understand patterns, use the rule “Now”. After that, continue to complete passages with the “Later” rule that needs lots of time to do and try hard to complete it within a time limit, do not rush to rule “Never”.
“Learning with practice”, knowing the theory is good but not everyone can do it. If you are still thinking about increasing your test score quickly, you should consider looking for an experienced instructor to study with to make the perfect plan, help you to have better orientation on the way to conquer the dream of studying abroad.
ssat.vn – A place to share all the experiences of Test Prep exams such as SSAT, SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE… for students preparing to study abroad. If you have any questions, please contact us directly by email or hotline for free advice.Tags: How to raise each ACT section score