Differences among raw - scale - percentile in SSAT

ssat.vn – To avoid losing scores and focusing more on the preparation process, we need to know about the differences among raw – scale – percentile in SSAT.

Related posts:

What is SSAT?

SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) is a standard entrance test for students in grades 5 – 11, required by many high schools in the US. This is a measure to evaluate quantitative reasoning, English proficiency as well as problem-solving in a learning environment entirely in English.

For more: IGCSE exam preparation tips to achieve high performance

Differences among raw – scale – percentile in SSAT

Students will receive three types of scores in the SSAT: raw score, scale score, and percentile ranking.

Raw score

To know about differences among raw – scale – percentile in SSAT, we first need to know the raw score. Raw score is determined by calculating the number of incorrect and correct answers. At all levels, the candidate will get 1 point for each correct answer. Each incorrect answer will be deducted 0.25 points. No point will be deducted if the question is left blank. The score for each question like this is called the raw score. The raw score for each section will be calculated as follows:

Raw score = (Total number of correct sentences x 1 point) – (Total number of incorrect sentences x 0.25 points)

For more: How to use academic English vocabulary?

Scale score

Scale score is determined by the conversion table from the raw score. Different scales are used for different levels and are adjusted through each test. Each level is scored on a different scale.

  • Elementary Level: Each section (Math, Verbal, Reading) has a scale from 300 to 600. Total score: 900 – 1800. Median score: 1350.
  • Middle Level: Each section (Math, Verbal, Reading) has a scale from 440 to 710. Total score: 1320 – 2130. Median score: 1725.
  • Upper Level: Each section (Math, Verbal, Reading) has a scale from 500 to 800. Total score: 1500 – 2400. Median score: 1950.

Percentile rank

Percentile rank is a special feature of SSAT compared to other tests. Based on this information, the Admissions Committee is able to comparatively compare and classify the abilities of students of the same age and gender who have taken SSAT in the last three years.

This rating ranges from 1% to 99% and indicates the percentage of students scoring less than or equal to the other student’s score. For example, a grade 8 female student has a percentile rank of 80%, which means that this student is among the 20% of students with a higher score than the remaining 80% of girls in grade 8 according to statistics within 3 years.

For more: Some effective SSAT exam preparation materials

ssat.vn – A place to share all the experiences of Test Prep exams (SSATSATACTGMATGRE…) for students preparing to study abroad. If you have any questions, please contact us directly via email or hotline for free advice.

Tags:
1093